TSI Assessment Exemptions
Upon beginning the admissions process, it may be determined that a student is exempt from the TSI testing requirements. Possible exemptions include...
Full Testing Exemptions
Exemption 1: You may be exempt based on previous test scores
- SAT composite score of at least 1070, and a Math and Reading section score of at least 500
- ACT composite score of at least 23, and a Math and English section score of at least 19
- Exit-level TAKS Math and English/Language Arts score of at least 2200, Essay score of at least 3
- STAAR English III and Algebra II end-of-course exam score of at least Level 2
Note: Testing exemption using the above scores is valid for a period of 5 years after test is initially taken.
Exemption 2: You are exempt if you have met TSI requirements at another institution
- Once a student has been deemed college ready by a higher education institution, this cannot be revoked.
Exemption 3: You may be exempt based on previous successful academic course completion
- If a student is transferring from a private or independent institution of higher education, an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education, or an international institution of higher education and has received course credit from that institution with a grade of C or higher, the student may be exempt from testing in the TSI section that corresponds with the completed course.
Exemption 4: You may be exempt based on previous developmental coursework or programs
- To receive this exemption, the student's official transcript must read "TSI complete" in Reading, Writing and/or Math.
Exemption 5: You are exempt if you hold an associate's degree or higher
Exemption 6: You are exempt if you are a student serving in active duty military for at least three years or have been honorably discharged, retired or released from active duty after August 1, 1990.
Exemption 7: You are exempt if you are enrolling in a Level 1 Certificate program (1 year or less, or less than 42 total credit hours)
Partial Testing Exemptions
- A student with an ACT Composite Score of 23 (or higher) are exempt from TSI Math with an ACT Math score of 19 (or higher) even though the ACT English may be less than 19. Students with an ACT Composite Score of 23 (or higher) are exempt from TSI Reading and TSI Writing with an ACT English score of 19 or higher, even though the math may be less than 19.
- A student with a SAT combined critical reading and math score of 1070 (or higher) are exempt from TSI Math with a SAT Math score of 500 (or higher) even though the SAT Critical Reading may be less than 500. Student with a combined critical reading and math score of 1070 (or higher) are exempt from TSI Reading and TSI Writing with a SAT Critical Reading score of 500 (or higher) even though the SAT Math may be less than 500.
- A student with a TAKS Math score of 2200 (or higher) are exempt from TSI Math. Students with a TAKS English Language Arts score of 2200 with a TAKS Writing sample of 3 exempts a student from TSI Reading and TSI Writing. The TAKS English Language Arts component is "all or nothing." In other words, a student with a TAKS English Language Arts score of 2200 with a TAKS Writing sample of 2 is NOT exempt from either TSI Reading nor TSI Writing.
- A student with a STAAR Algebra II score of level 2 are exempt from TSI Math. Students with a STAAR English III score of level 2 exempts a student from TSI Reading and TSI Writing.
All test scores must be documented on an official document (transcript). Faxes, student score reports, or Xerox copies are not considered official. Information courtesy of Collin College.
What if I'm not exempt?
If a student is not otherwise exempt and is degree-seeking, testing will be required to determine if the student is prepared for college level coursework. Testing must be completed before the student can register for classes within the selected program of study. If a student's SAT,ACT, TAKS or STAAR scores exempt them from one or more sections of the test, they are only required to test in the areas in which they are not exempt. For example, if your TAKS scores exempt you from the Mathematics section, you will only be required to complete the TSI Assessment in Reading and Writing.
For questions please call 956-364-4997 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.