Here are some frequently asked questions about TSI (Texas Success Initiative). If you have a question that is not represented here, please contact the TSTC Advisement Center.
What Is the TSI Assessment?
You Cannot Pass or Fail the TSI Assessment
Based on how you perform, you may either be:
- Enrolled in a college-level course that matches your skill level
- Placed the appropriate developmental course or intervention to improve your skills and prepare you for success in college-level courses
Please read the student brochure, TSI Assessment, for answers to these frequently asked questions:
- Do I have to take the TSI Assessment?
- How does the TSI assessment work?
How Much Does It Cost to Take the TSI Assessment?
- Each section of the test is $12, or it is $36 for all three sections.
How Do I Pay for the TSI Assessment?
- You will need a Test Referral form from an Advisement Center advisor.
- Take your Test Referral form to the Cashier Window of the Student Accounting office and pay. Each section of the test is $12, or it is $36 for all three sections.
- Take your payment receipt and your Test Referral form to the Testing Center.
How Long Does the TSI Assessment Take?
- The TSI Assessment is not a timed test.
- The average time to complete all three sections of the test is 5 - 8 hours. We recommend that you do not take all three sections at the same time.
What Do I Need to Bring with Me to the Test?
Can I Bring A Calculator to the Test?
- No, calculators are not allowed.
- No study materials, reference materials or calculators may be used during the test.
- Cellular phones and all other communication devices are strictly prohibited in the testing room.
- A calculator will appear on screen during sections where usage is appropriate.
When Will I Get My Scores?
- The TSI Assessment is scored immediately upon completion.
- Students are given an unofficial copy of scores for advisement purposes.
- If you need an official score report for another college, there will be a $20 fee, which can paid at the Cashier's Window.
How Do I Interpret my Scores?
- Immediately following your test, you will proceed to the Advisement Center. An advisor will interpret your scores.
Can I Take the TSI Assessment Again?
- Yes, you may retest at any time, upon availability.
- You will need another Test Referral form.
- The retest will cost $36 or $12 per section.
Can I Study for the TSI Assessment?
TSI Assessment Brochure Library
All documents are PDF and will open in a new window
If you have a disability and require specific accommodations to complete the TSI Assessment or any other examination please contact the Testing Center at 956-364-4308.
For questions please call 956-364-4997 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.