International Student applicants should complete all Admissions requirements at least 90 days prior to the expected entry date.
Admissions Requirements for International Students
- Admissions Application
- Official transcripts from secondary schools through post-secondary work previously completed, whether taken in a foreign country or in the United States. (Foreign transcripts must be translated into English and must be certified by the Ministry of Education or comparable agency in the student's respective country.)
- Official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Scores with a minimum score 15-30 in Reading; 14-30 in Listening; 2.5-4.0 in Speaking; 2.5-5.0 in Writing on a web-based exam will be accepted. English speaking countries (Great Britain, Canada - west of Ontario, Australia, and many African countries) are expempt from this requirement. Note: All courses at TSTC are taught in the English language.
- Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Exam or exemption if applicable. TSI exemption will not be used as a basis for admission, but will be used to determine placement.
- Student Immunization Records (must be translated into the English language)
- Affidavit of Support indicating ability to pay fees and reside in the United States while attending school is required. A minimum of $21,621.00 (in U.S. currency) is currently required to meet expenses. Valid financial support documents (less than one year old from date of enrollment) must indicate the minimum U.S. dollar amount required by TSTC Harlingen. Please note: The required minimum is subject to change without notice.
- College entrance testing, depending on major field of study.
Student Health Services Information Form is necessary if applicable.
Housing Form for Dorms may be acquired from the Housing Office at 956-364-4235 or via email at email@example.com if applicable.
Once the Office of Admissions and Records receives all the required documents, the applicant will be issued an acceptance letter and an I-20MN. The I-20MN and the acceptance letter will be presented to the consulate’s office in the applicant’s county for review and consideration of being issued a student visa.
It is important for the applicant to understand that the presentation of an I-20MN to the consulate’s office does not guarantee a student visa. The consulate’s office has the right to deny, without explanation, the request for a student visa.
Once an applicant has been issued a student visa and arrives in the United States, the international student must adhere strictly to the United States Citizenship and Immigration laws. Therefore, the international student must:
- Enroll and maintain full-time student status while maintaining satisfactory progress in his/her coursework.
- Maintain a current I-94 on file in Office of Admissions and Records.
- Carry medical and hospitalization insurance.
- Not obtain federal financial aid.
- Comply with all the college’s regulations, laws of the State of Texas and the United States.
Failure to comply with any of the above regulations may result in termination from Texas State Technical College and/or deportation.
Please read the International Student Responsibilities document.
Packets can be mailed to:
Office of Admissions & Records
International Student Admissions
Texas State Technical College Harlingen
1902 North Loop 499
Harlingen, TX 78550
Texas State Technical College maintains an open admissions policy, but admission to the college does not guarantee admission to all programs. Admission to some TSTC programs have specific requirements. Information about the programs are available at the College Information Office located in the Student Services Building.