1902 Loop 499
Harlingen, TX 78550
The General Studies Department office is located in The State Representative Irma Rangel Science & Technology Building.
M-F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Sat., Sun.: Closed
TSTC 1101 – College Success
All first-time TSTC Students are required to take TSTC 1101, as well as all transfer students with less than 24 SCH. The course is required for graduation, but it is not required for Dual Enrollment or Continuing Education students.
The one credit hour student success course will present students with the essential knowledge to accomplish their goals at TSTC. The most important class taught at the College, TSTC 1101 is a strong foundation for a student’s academic career, focusing on student development, utilizing campus resources, and building life-long learning skills for academic and workplace success.
Transient student may require a one-time exemption from TSTC 1101 with the Office of Student Learning.
- Begins Fall 2013
- Face-to-face course only
- 1 credit hour course with designated lecture component and "flexible schedule" lab component
- Requirement for EVERY STUDENT (excluding Dual Enrollment and C.E.) with less than 24 credit hours
- Must take within 1st semester
- Not on any degree plan, but it is an institutional requirement
- Focused on essential elements to succeed at TSTC, such as:
- Using Moodle
- Study and note-taking strategies
- Time and money management
- Academic planning (schedules and classes)
- Interpersonal skills development
- How to use TSTC student resources (tutoring, mentoring, LRC, etc.)
- Students who are transient (not transfer) seeking to take 8 credit hours or less may request a one-time waiver for the class from the Office of Student Learning.
- Students who have taken HRPO 1311 (no longer offered after Summer 2013) meet the requirement for TSTC 1101.
For additional course information, contact the General Studies Department at 956-364-4139.