TSTC Harlingen Statement of Ethical Practice
(Revised July 2013)
The Housing Department is committed to maintaining an environment built on high standards of conduct that conform to the college’s policies and ethical practices. Housing staff recognize that in order to gain and foster student trust, they must be perceived as trustworthy public servants. Therefore, the Housing Department staff commit to being responsible, truthful, fair, honest, and law abiding in their interactions with all stakeholders.
Specifically, Housing staff will
- Support the mission, goals, policies and practices of TSTC Harlingen.
- Treat students with respect and dignity.
- Promote first and foremost the academic success of all housing residents.
- Assist students in becoming productive, ethical, and responsible citizens.
- Resolve conflicts among students, colleagues and the institution with respect and in conformance to institutional policies.
- Strive to create a socially just and diverse community built upon respect and caring for one another.
- Promote the rights and responsibilities of all housing residents.
- Enforce the TSTC Harlingen Student Code of Conduct and all housing policies and procedures fairly and consistently, affording all residents their right to due process in all judicial affairs.
- Provide quality services to residents within fiscal boundaries and refer them to internal and external entities, departments, and agencies as needed.
- Provide factual and accurate information about the institution and the department.
- Recognize fiduciary responsibility to the college by expending college funds prudently, maximizing resources to the fullest potential, and conforming to prescribed fiscal policies and institutional accounting practices.
- Stay current with changes in technology and legislation related to higher education and implement modifications and upgrades to policies and procedures accordingly.
- Evaluate services regularly to ensure conformity to standards and use results for continuous improvement.
- Maintain current and accurate knowledge of all regulations related to privacy and confidentiality of student records and apply them to departmental operations, particularly as related to human subject research and disclosures.
- Understand institutional policies and procedures related to the use of technology and communicate them to and enforce them with staff and residents
- Secure professional development to continually improve skills and acquire new knowledge.
- Abstain from and report all forms of harassment and discrimination.
TSTC has a value statement based on integrity that stresses accountability and good stewardship. Our commitment to the public’s trust is demonstrated by our zero tolerance for fraud and other unlawful conduct. To this end, employees, students, and any other concerned citizen may anonymously report suspected fraud, waste, and abuse of TSTC assets and resources. For more information, visit http://www.tstc.edu/harlingenfooter/fraud