TSTC offers more than 50 degrees and certificates in many different areas of study.

Use the Search or A-Z Listing to find exactly what career you want to explore.
Visit Our Facebook  Visit Our Twitter  Visit Our YouTube Channel  Visit Our Instagram  More Social Media
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the University Center at Harlingen?

A: The University Center at Harlingen is a multi-institutional teaching center (MITC) designed to provide convenient access to junior and senior level courses for baccalaureate programs, which complement the Associate of Science, Associate of Applied Science and certificates awarded by TSTC Harlingen. In addition, University Partners will offer graduate programs that meet the needs of the community.

Q: Who are the University Center Partners?

A: The University Center Partners are:

  • Texas A&M University Corpus Christi
  • Texas A&M University Kingsville
  • The University of Texas Brownsville
  • University of Houston
  • The University of Texas Pan American
  • Wayland Baptist University

Q: What programs of study will be offered at the University Center?

A: The programs of study offered through the South Texas Educational Partnership (STEP) at the University Center at Harlingen will vary depending on student demand and approval by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Q: Where do I apply for programs available at the University Center at Harlingen?

A: Admissions, as well as tuition information/financial aid are handled by the managing partner of each program of study. For example, if you would like to apply for the B.S. in Organizational Leadership, a partnership program with University of Houston; you would apply for the program through the University of Houston admissions process and also indicate University of Houston on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.)

Q: Is there a faculty housed at the University Center at Harlingen?

A: Junior and senior level courses leading up to the baccalaureate degree, as well as graduate coursework are offered either face-to-face or through hybrid course delivery.

Face-to-face courses are traditional courses whereby the student is in class with other classmates and a faculty member.

Hybrid courses are delivered as a combination of face-to-face and distance (online and/or ITV) delivery methods.

The second floor of the University Center at Harlingen houses office space for visiting faculty. Students can meet with faculty at the University Center at Harlingen by making arrangements with them directly.

Q: I want a Bachelor of Science degree; can I complete all of my coursework at the University Center at Harlingen?

A: Each University Center (UC) program of study is designed to complement the academic programs offered at Texas State Technical College in Harlingen. That is, students may begin their education at TSTC by earning their first two years of credits at TSTC and then transfer to one of the programs at the UC. Specific information regarding the transfer process is available by contacting the Academic Achievement Center at TSTC.

Q: Do I have to attend TSTC to be considered for admission to the programs at the University Center at Harlingen?

A: No. Each degree plan will identify Texas Common Course Numbers (TCCN) for lower-division community and technical college courses and the upper-division university courses needed to complete the various baccalaureate degrees. Students should meet with an advisor to assess their specific situation. In addition to the advisors on the TSTC campus, students are also encouraged to contact their home campus for the program of study they plan to pursue. Advisors from the partnering universities may communicate with students via telephone, email, online communication or in person at the University Center of Harlingen or on the TSTC campus.

Q: What are the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) requirements for the graduate programs offered at the University Center at Harlingen?

A: Because the partnering universities are responsible for admissions for their respective programs, admission to programs hosted by the University Center at Harlingen, students will be subject to the admissions requirements established by each of the partnering universities.

Q: Can I complete any of the programs at the University Center at Harlingen without ever having to come to campus?

A: Resources are available to students at the University Center at Harlingen. These resources include computer labs, a digital library, and Wi-Fi connectivity. Every University Center at Harlingen student will have access to these resources; however, specific student responsibilities regarding class attendance will be determined by the faculty of each program of study.

Q: What resources are available at the University Center at Harlingen?

A: The University Center at Harlingen is a state of the art green building, the only one of its kind south of San Antonio, Texas and one of very few in higher education. It is on track for LEED Gold Certification, a designation granted by the U.S. Green Building Council. It houses office and classroom space to deliver the various degree programs, as well as a digital library, a computer laboratory, and will contain the infrastructure to accommodate the latest IT technology for instructional delivery and learning. The University Center also houses the Harlingen Economic Development Corporation offices and the Corporate and Community Education Division of Texas State Technical College, including the Corporate Testing Center.

Texas State Technical College Homepage Link Texas State Technical College Homepage Link Request Information En Espanol