TSTC offers more than 50 degrees and certificates in many different areas of study.

Use the Search or A-Z Listing to find exactly what career you want to explore.
Visit Our Facebook  Visit Our Twitter  Visit Our YouTube Channel  Visit Our Instagram  More Social Media
Veterans Guide for Success

A step by step guide has been created to assist Veterans, Service Members and their dependents in navigating the Admissions process and obtaining your GI Bill benefits.

Step 1: Apply for Admissions and complete the required admissions process.

Veterans are recommended to check their residency status with the Admissions Office. If your HOME OF RECORD is Texas and you have been discharged within 12 months, please submit a copy of your DD214 (member 4) to the Admission Office. Please visit www.collegforalltexans.com to view other residency waivers available for Veterans and Service Members.

An acceptance letter containing your student ID will be mailed to you.

Step 2: Apply for your GI Bill and/or Texas Hazelwood Act

Apply for your GI Bill benefits online using Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP)

  • Form 22-1990 for Veterans using (Chapter 30, 33, 1606, 1607)
  • Form 22-1990e for Dependents and Spouses using Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) transfer of entitlement
  • Form 22-5490 for Dependents and Spouses using Dependents' Education Assistance (Chapter 35)

You will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the Veterans Administration in 4-6 weeks. Please submit a copy of your COE to the Veterans Office.

NOTE: If you have previously used your GI Bill benefits at another school then you will have to complete a transfer form.  Please visit the Veterans Center for assistance with the forms below.  An updated COE will be required by the Veterans Center.

  • Form 22-1995 for Veterans
  • Form 22-5495 for Dependents or Spouses

Veterans using Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Division (Chapter 31) are required to submit form 28-1905. You may request that your VocRehab counselor send the form directly to the Veterans Center.  The Veterans Center fax number is 956-364-5123.

Step 3: Submit all required documentation

Veterans are required to submit the following documentation to the Veterans Center.

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • DD Form 214 (member 4)
  • Official military transcripts and university/college transcripts (Submit to the Admissions & Records Office)
  • VA Form 22-1905 - required for Veterans using Chapter 31
  • DD Form 2384 (NOBE) - Required for Veterans using Chapter 1606 or REAP
  • VA Form 22-1995 - When changing major field of study or incoming transfer students.
  • Valid State ID
  • Birth Certificate or Passport

Request Official Military Transcripts from the Joint Service Transcript System, or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)

Dependents using GI Bill Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 transfer of entitlements must submit the following documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • DD Form 214 (member) - Chapter 33 transfer of entitlement is exempt, if Veteran is on Active Duty
  • Veteran's service-connected compensation claim, decision letter (Chapter 35)
  • University/College transcripts (Submit to the Admissions & Records Office)
  • VA Form 22-5495 - (Chapter 35) when changing degree plan or incoming transfer student

Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid

Service Members, Veterans and their dependents are encouraged to apply for Financial Aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. To learn more about financial assistance, please visit our Financial Aid Office website.

Step 5: Register with VA eBenefits

Create an eBenefits PREMIUM account to check your deposits from VA along with the history of your enrollment certification status and months of benefits remaining. You can setup direct deposit or update your address with VA.

Texas State Technical College Homepage Link Texas State Technical College Homepage Link Request Information En Espanol