Applying for Aid
At TSTC, we understand that it can be very intimidating applying for financial aid online, even if it’s not your first time. We hope, though, by providing these few tips and easy to follow steps, it will provide you with the guidance you need to complete your FAFSA accurately, without all the frustration.
…before getting started on your FAFSA:
- FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Make sure that you go to fafsa.ed.gov or fafsa.gov to file your application. There are website scams that will charge you for applying for aid on their website with the same application that the government gives you for free!
Have your (and your spouse’s, if you’re married) tax return for the current school year. Example: students attending in 13/14 school year will need 2012 tax returns. For dependant students, parents will have to provide taxes.
Have all the school codes available of all the colleges you’re thinking about attending.
Apply for your PIN – Personal Identification Number – early. This will be your 4-digit signature for signing your FAFSA. Parent will also have to apply and sign for dependant students.
Apply by the deadlines.
|June 1st - deadline
for fall semester
|October 1st - deadline
for spring semester
|March 1st - deadline
for summer semester
Getting started on your...
- To submit your FAFSA, start by clicking on the “Start Here” button above, it will take you to the fafsa.ed.gov website where you will login. TSTC school code: 033965
- Within 2-3 weeks after you submit your FAFSA, you’ll receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail. If you provided your email address, you’ll receive a link to your SAR in 5-7 days.
- Once you receive your SAR, review it to confirm the information is correct. If any changes are needed, please notify the financial aid office.
- If you’re chosen for verification (Dept. of Ed process) you’ll be sent a letter from financial aid letting you know what we need. Your aid will remain in pending until we receive all the required documentation.
- When your financial aid is complete, you’ll receive an award letter in the mail.
- To receive a Federal Direct Student Loan, a Direct Loan Request form must be filled out. You can pick one up at our office or print one from our website under Federal Loans.
- Before financial aid can be credited to your account:
- You must declare a major
- All official transcripts must be in
- Please be aware that pell grant money will adjust according to how many hours you have:
|12 + Hours
|9 – 11 Hours
|6 - 8 Hours
|1 – 5 Hours
||Less Than Half Time
- Refunds are figured approximately two (2) weeks after school starts. After your grant money goes into your account, the Business Office pays what you owe and then sends the remainder to HigherOne as your refund.