(903) 923-1010

2650 East End Blvd. South
Marshall, TX 75671
facebook twitter YouTube
Types of Financial Aid

College Student

A variety of resources are available for financial assistance at TSTC. Some of these are included in the following list. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more complete information and assistance.

  • Federal Pell Grant Eligibilty The Federal Pell Grant program is intended to provide you with the financial assistance you need for obtaining a postsecondary education, with eligibility being based on your financial need. When you’ve submitted your FAFSA the following page will give you an estimated yearly pell grant and loan amount. The pell grant is designed to be the base of your financial aid package and very seldom pays for all your expenses, especially if you’re going to reside in housing and/or need tools. Therefore, you need to be prepared by looking into other avenues to help cover your expenses. We’ve provided several possibilities we hope you will find helpful.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). This federal aid program helps college students who have exceptional need. The amount of the FSEOG varies according to the availability of other grants, scholarships, loans, and student employment. FSEOG funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come first-served basis.
  • Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG). This state program provides financial assistance in obtaining a postsecondary education. Eligibility is based on a student's financial need.
  • Toward EXcellence, Access & Success (TEXAS). These state awards pay tuition and fees for certain students who have graduated from Texas public or accredited private high schools within the preceding 16 months. Students must have completed the recommended or advanced high school curriculum and be able to show financial need. Students who do not meet the criteria for the TEXAS Grant may be eligible for the Texas Grant II.
  • Federal and State Work-Study Program (FWSP). Work-study programs are designed to stimulate and promote part-time on-campus employment of students, particularly those who need financial assistance. Funds are available to the College to help create job opportunities for eligible students; however, these funds are limited and students must apply early.
  • Federal Loans. The types of federal loans available are Direct subsidized and unsubsidized loans, as well as Parent Loans. To be eligible for a loan, students must first apply for the Federal Pell Grant and turn in a Direct Loan Request form.  Federal regulations change frequently regarding loan amounts, eligibility criteria, origination and interest fees, so check with the financial aid office for updates.
  • Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services. The Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS). provides financial assistance to students whose significant physical or mental disabilities have resulted in substantial vocational disabilities. Learning disorders are among the eligible conditions. In order to provide training assistance, DARS must determine that such training is necessary for employment and that the individual has a good chance of success in the chosen program. Applicants must submit an application and be tested and counseled before eligibility is determined. The amount of DARS assistance depends on available funds and individual need. A full-time DARS representative is available to assist DARS clients while attending TSTC. Contact your local Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services office for an application and more information.
  • Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) is a federal program established under the Trade Act of 1974 to provide aid to workers who lose their jobs or whose hours of work and wages are reduced as a result of increased imports.  Contact Texas Workforce Commission in your county of residence.
  • Workforce Investment Act (WIA), represented by Texas Workforce Commission, 28 Workforce Development Boards and their contractors work together to provide help with expenses to those who qualify.  Follow the Texas Workforce Commission link to get a phone number for your county.  For Harrison County call 903.935.7814. Deaf or Hard of Hearing may call 800.735.2989 (TDD) or Texas Relay at 800.735.2988
  • Hazlewood Act The Hazlewood Act is a tuition exemption that was set up for Veterans who were Texas residents prior to enlisting in the service. In order to qualify, the veteran must have first exhausted all their Montgomery G.I. Bill or their time limits expired. Once this has been established then the veteran must do the following:
  1. Complete Application for Hazlewood
    1. Hazelwood applications are available in the Financial Aid office
    2. Hazelwood applications are also available online here.
  2. Provide Copy of DD-214.
  3. Provide copy of VA Letter 27-12 stating benefits have been exhausted or expired.
  4. Must not be on Default on Student loan.
  • Veterans, who were legal residents of Texas at the time they entered military service, and Home of Record is listed as Texas on the DD214, are entitled to a waiver of tuition and some fees at State-supported colleges and universities. This benefit is also available to children of Texas servicemen and women who died or were killed in military service, and to children of Texas military personnel who are shown to be missing in action or prisoners of war. Also eligible are children of members of the Texas National Guard or the Texas Air National Guard killed since January 1, 1946, while on active duty either in service of Texas or the United States. Any person claiming this benefit must have exhausted all Federal educational benefits and be a legal resident of Texas at the time of application.

Texas State Technical College Homepage Link Texas State Technical College Homepage Link Request Information En Espanol