Click below for
Must submit a complete application packet in a sealed 9X12 envelope prior to the deadline date indicated in packet.
- Have all official transcripts of courses taken from other colleges sent to Texas State Technical College and reviewed by Admissions;
- Submit a copy of picture ID (driver’s license or state issued ID) and Social Security card;
- Must be able to pass a FBI background check and 10 panel drug screen (Applicant will receive further instructions after they have applied to the VN program);
- All immunizations must be current including Hepatitis B series, MMR series, Varicella, TDap, Meningococcal vaccine, Influenza, and TB;
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II must be within 5 years if taken beforehand;
- Must take TEAS V exam at TSTC through the testing center at one of the following campuses: Abilene; Breckenridge; Brownwood; Sweetwater;
- Apply for general acceptance to Texas State Technical College Sweetwater or Breckenridge by submission of Admission Application. Applicants may click here to apply.
- Request official sealed copy of your high school transcript or your GED diploma to the Admissions and Records Office. If you received your GED in Texas and need an official diploma, call the Texas Education Agency (TEA) at 512.463.9292 to obtain one.
- Submit an official college transcript from all previously attended colleges to the New Student Admissions Office. The college transcript(s) must be an official transcript - imprinted with the college's seal and delivered in a sealed envelope.
- Vocational Nursing program is a 16 month program and has one intake per year, for the Fall semester. The deadline for submission of completed packets are included in the Application Packets.
- Complete financial aid application. (We recommend that you apply at least four months prior to registration.) If you are applying for federal financial aid, complete the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) for the Pell Grant and other financial aid and submit it to the federal processor. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on other grants, scholarships, student loans or sponsoring agencies such as WIA or DARS. Veterans wanting to use their VA benefits should contact their local VA Certification Officer on campus. The "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" can be found at fafsa.ed.gov
- In Fall 2013, the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment established new college readiness standards for incoming students. The TSI Assessment is designed to help determine if students are ready for college-level coursework in the general areas of Reading, Writing and Math. If the student does not meet testing requirements, the assessment will also help with student placement in courses that will aid in the preparation of student skills for college-level classes. For questions please call 325-235-7441, Counseling and Testing.
- Applicants to the VN Program must take the TEAS V (Test of Essential Academic Skills) Entrance Exam, consisting of four sections; reading, math, science and English. Information about the TEAS Study Guide Version 5.0 can be found at http://www.atitesting.com/ati_store/product.aspx?zpid=1175 . Complete information about the TEAS test is included in the application packet.
- The TEAS V is a computerized test available through the TSTC Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, or Sweetwater Testing Centers. The fee to test is $55.00. Testing/retesting is offered by appointment only at the campus of applicant’s choice:
TSTC Abilene – 325-734-3641
TSTC Breckenridge – 254-559-7715
TSTC Brownwood – 325-641-3917
TSTC Sweetwater – 325-235-7441
- Courses to be considered for transfer credit must be submitted on an official sealed college transcript. Courses which are not identical with the catalog listing of courses or equivalent in the common course numbering system require a request for substitution form to be completed by the nursing department.
- Submit COMPLETE VN APPLICATION packet to Marissa Molina on the TSTC campus in Sweetwater.
- Applicants will be evaluated on an admission rating scale consisting of point system and personal interview.
- Criminal background checks are required for students involved directly with clients in clinical facilities and by the Texas Board of Nursing for licensure. To pass the nursing courses involved in this program you must complete clinical rotations at these sites. If you refuse or for any reason cannot complete this background check, or as a result of the information gathered in this check, you will be refused access to a clinical facility, thereby ineligible for clinical participation; you will be dismissed from the program due to inability to meet clinical objectives. Information on the procedure for obtaining a CBC and fingerprinting is available in the application packet. The Board of Nursing will issue a code and a form to be used for the fingerprinting. Prints from any other source or without the BON code will not be accepted.
- DO NOT COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO APPLICATION. You will be notified when it is time to have your prints made. ( don’t interview or include in class selection if they don’t have a clear background.)
- Employment at many healthcare facilities and agencies require mandatory drug screening. Vocational Nursing students may be required to undergo a random drug screen prior to beginning clinical experiences and at any point during the program at the discretion of the Program Chair and/or Instructor. Failure to take or pass this drug test will result in inability to complete required clinical rotations.
- Limited numbers of students are accepted to this program. The admission rating scale and application packet criteria will be used to determine acceptance. All candidates will be notified via email regarding admission status.
- ** Not all qualified candidates may be accepted.
- Some students not selected will be notified that they are alternates. Students on the alternate list may be admitted if space becomes available.
- Accepted applicants will be notified of the date, time and place to attend the MANDATORY ORIENTATION. Those accepted and not attending or arriving late to the orientation will automatically be dropped from consideration.
- Completed application packets must be mailed or hand delivered to the following address:
Texas State Technical College
Attn: Marissa Molina, Nursing Secretary
300 Homer K Taylor Dr.
Sweetwater, TX 79556
**Applicants must submit a COMPLETE application packet to the Vocational Nursing Department, either in person or by mail on or before the application filing deadline. Incomplete packets will not be considered in the selection process.
Place all of above materials in 9x12 inch envelope for submission either in person or by mail during the designated filing period.
** Incomplete packets will not be considered for selection!