Be 18 years of age and eligible for Texas State Technical College admission; non probationary for grades;
Have all transcripts of courses taken from other colleges sent to TSTC and reviewed by Admissions;
TSI must be complete before applying to the program;
Submit a copy of picture ID (preferably current driver’s license) and SSN;
Must be able to pass L1 Board of Nursing Criminal Background Check & 5 panel drug screen; (Student will receive further instructions after he/she has been selected in to the VN Program).
All Immunizations must be current including Hepatitis A and B series, TB, Flu shot, Meningococcal vaccine TDap, Varicella, MMR series;
Must have a current Physical from a physician ;
Must pass all academic courses prior to start of nursing courses; no “Ds” for program of study courses;
Prerequisite courses Anatomy and Physiology I & II must be within 5 years
Must take TEAS Exam here at TSTC through the Testing Center
Must submit a complete Application Packet in sealed 9x12 envelope prior to deadline (Fall 2017).
ATI TEAS Exam Information
- Apply for general acceptance to Texas State Technical College Harlingen by submission of Admission Application. Applicants may click here to apply.
- Request official sealed copy of your high school transcript or your GED diploma to the Admissions and Records Office. If you received your GED in Texas and need an official diploma, call the Texas Education Agency (TEA) at 512-463-9292 to obtain one.
- Submit an official college transcript from all previously attended colleges to the New Student Admissions Office. The college transcript(s) must be an official transcript - imprinted with the college's seal and delivered in a sealed envelope.
- Spring 2015 with a deadline, noon on May 15, 2015, program beginning in Fall 2015. Fall application deadline will be noon, September 4, 2015, program beginning in Spring 2016.
- Complete financial aid application. (We recommend that you apply at least four months prior to registration.) If you are applying for federal financial aid, complete the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) for the Pell Grant and other financial aid and submit it to the federal processor. Complete the TSTC Harlingen Financial Aid Office Application and return it to the Financial Aid Office. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on other grants, scholarships, student loans or sponsoring agencies such as WIA or DARS. Veterans wanting to use their VA benefits should contact their local VA Certification Officer on campus. The "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" can be found at fafsa.ed.gov
- In the Fall 2013 semester, the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment established new college readiness standards for incoming students. The TSI Assessment is designed to help determine if students are ready for college-level coursework in the general areas of Reading, Writing and Math. If the student does not meet testing requirements, the assessment will also help with student placement in courses that will aid in the preparation of student skills for college-level classes. For questions please call 956-364-4997 or http://www.tstc.edu/financialaid
- Prerequisite courses must be completed prior to program application:
- BIOL 1322-Nutrition
- HITT 1305-Medical Terminology
- BIOL 2401-Anatomy and Physiology I
or BIOL 2301/ BIOL 2101
- BIOL 2402-Anatomy and Physiology II
or BIOL 2302/ BIOL 2102
- Applicants to the VN Program must take the TEAS ( Test of Essential Academic Skills) Entrance Exam, consisting of four sections; reading, math, science and english. Information about the TEAS Study Guide Version 5.0 can be found at http://www.atitesting.com/ati_store/product.aspx?zpid=1175 . The composite score will be used within the selection criteria with additional points for GPA and any previous achievements related to nursing education.
- The TEAS is a computerized test available through the TSTC-HARLINGEN Testing Center. Register on-line by clicking on date link. The total cost is $80 which includes a test fee of $55 paid online and a $25 proctoring fee paid at the Cashier Window. You must have your receipt from the Business Office, a valid credit card to pay for the exam and a picture ID at the time of the test. TEST CAN ONLY BE TAKEN ONE TIME PER APPLICATION PROCESS. SEATS ARE LIMITED, REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED!
- A typed essay which must include the following: explanation of desire to be a nurse; the steps taken to make sure the one-year commitment to the Vocational Nursing Program can be fulfilled; where this education will lead over the next 10 years. Also include academic record from high school and/or college; hobbies and volunteer work.
- Courses to be considered for admission must be presented on a submitted official sealed college transcript. Courses which are not identical with the catalog listing of courses or equivalent in the common course numbering system require a request for substitution form to be filled out and submitted to Admissions with college application.
- Submit complete VN Application Packet to the Allied Health Department Secretary’s Office. The logbook must be signed by applicant to record receipt of the application.
- Applicants will be evaluated on an admission rating scale consisting of TEAS score, GPA, and Nurse Assistant certification. The rankings will be submitted to the Admissions Committee for consideration as a component of the total admission criteria.
- The selected applicants will be admitted pending proof of physical and mental health on a physical examination taken within 6 months prior to enrollment in the first nursing course. Immunizations must be current and the Hepatitis A & B series must be completed by the beginning of the program.
- Criminal background checks are required for students involved directly with clients in clinical facilities and by the Texas Board of Nursing for licensure. To pass the nursing courses involved in this program you must complete clinical rotations at these sites. If you refuse or for any reason cannot complete this background check, or as a result of the information gathered in this check, you will be refused access to a clinical facility, thereby ineligible for clinical participation; you will be dismissed from the program due to inability to meet clinical objectives. Information on the procedure for obtaining a CBC and fingerprinting will be given to the accepted students.
- DO NOT COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO ADMISSION !
- Employment at many healthcare facilities and agencies require mandatory drug screening. Vocational Nursing students may be required to undergo a random drug screen prior to beginning clinical experiences and at any point during the program at the discretion of the Program Director and/or Instructor. Failure to take or pass this drug test will result in inability to complete required clinical rotations.
- Limited numbers of students are accepted to this program. The admission rating scale and application packet criteria will be used to determine acceptance. All candidates will be notified in writing regarding admission status.
- ** Not all qualified candidates may be accepted.
- Some students not selected will be notified that they are alternates. Students on the alternate list may be admitted if space becomes available.
- Eligible applicants will be notified of the date to attend the MANDATORY ORIENTATION. Those applicants not attending or arriving late to the orientation will automatically be dropped from consideration. Completed applications, forms, immunization records, and written documents must be submitted in the application packet folder to the following address: Texas State Technical College Vocational Nursing Department 1902 N. Loop 499 Harlingen, TX 78550
**Applicants must submit a COMPLETE application packet to the Vocational Nursing Department, either in person or by certified mail on or before the application filing deadline. Incomplete packets will not be considered in the selection process.**
The logbook must be signed by applicant to record receipt of the application.
Place all of above materials in 9x12 inch envelope for submission either in person or by mail during the designated filing period.
** Incomplete packets will not be considered for selection!