Dental Assistant Jobs
With the national increase in health care-related services and the national shortage of health care professionals, the need for dental assistants is growing substantially. With a workforce of over 300,000 strong, dental assisting ranks as the fourth fastest-growing occupation in the health care technician field. To meet our nation’s increasing medical demands, recent studies indicate that nearly 400,000 dental assistants will be employed by 2026.
Education and Certification
- Dental assistants and aides should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- Students who complete this comprehensive course would be prepared to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB)-Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam and the DANB-Infection Control Exam (ICE).
- In many states, DANB-RHS certification is required to work in dental radiography.
- In addition to facilitating entry-level administrative positions, this course is ideal for students interested in pursuing a future formal dental hygienist program.
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- The dental assisting profession and history of dentistry.
- Dental anatomy and physiology.
- Tooth charting, tooth surfaces, and classification of restorations on a tooth.
- Parts of the jaw and areas of the mouth.
- Oral health and prevention of dental disease.
- Infection control in dentistry, and occupational health and safety.
- Patient information and assessment.
- Foundation of clinical dentistry.
- Dental radiology.
- Single crown restoration, bridge, implant, partial denture and full denture.
- Dental equipment, accessories and treatment room.
- Dental hand pieces and accessories.
- Dental cements and impression materials.
- Coding of radiology services and using ICD 10-CM codes.
- Assisting in comprehensive dental care.
- Dental administration and communication skills.
Training will be held on TSTC’s Abilene main campus located at:
650 E. Highway 80, Abilene, TX 79601
Dental Assistant Program Structure
Course Contact Hours: 100
Clinical Hours: 40
- TSBDE Exam Fee and Proctoring
- CPR Certification Course
- Clinical Externship Placement – 40 Hours
Does Not Include:
- DANB RHS/ICE Exam Fees
- Background check
- Scrubs (required)
NOTE: Enrolled Students transferring out of state are eligible for the online course with clinical externship placement. Outside of Texas most states and employers require DANB RHS / ICE Certification. The price for taking the RHS and ICE exams together is $375.
Tuesday and Thursday 6:00pm – 9:30pm.
Saturday 9:00am – 4:30pm.
Dates and times are subject to change. 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.