Shot record to include the following:
- Tetanus-Diphtheria or dTap within past 10 years
- Measles, Mumps & Rubella — 2 on or after the first birthday
- TB test within past 3 months
- HEP B injection 1st series
- HEP B injection 2nd series
- HEP B injection 3rd series
Needed by first day of class every semester:
- Proof of Insurance (Invoice from TSTC Business Office) for:
- Malpractice (only once a year)
- Books for DHYG courses
- Valid Texas driver’s license or Texas identification
- Apply for general acceptance to TSTC Harlingen by submission of Admission Application. Applications to the college may be done online by clicking here. This is in addition to the Dental Hygiene Application. Please call 956-364-4997 for further information.
- Communicate with a TSTC advisor, 956-364-4775, to discuss eligibility to become TSI complete. TSI measures reading, writing and math skills.
- Take the ATI-TEAS Exam, Test of Essential Academic Skills Exam, annually during the month of January. The ATI-TEAS test is a nationally normed test developed to measure basic essential skills in the academic areas of reading, mathematics, science, and English and language usage that has been proven to be an accurate predictor of success in health occupations. The test will be administered at the TSTC Counseling Center during the month of January for a fee of $65.00 which must be paid by credit card in the student’s name at the time of the test, and $25.00 test administration fee for returning users, $30.00 test fee for new users paid at the cashier’s office and a receipt must be shown for admittance to the test. It is a timed test of about 4 hours and will be taken at the Testing Center in the Student Center. If you have questions, please call the Testing Center at 956-364-4308. Test dates and times are done through appointments only, no walk-ins will be accepted. The TEAS test dates are to be determined. Applicants can schedule the test at bit.ly/TSTCPlacementTest. Please don’t wait until the last week to take the test as dates are limited. Retakes are not allowed and test scores are only valid for one year. NOTE: Test flyers, to help you with the registration of the test, are available at the dental hygiene clinic if needed. Also, prep materials are available for purchase at atitesting.com, or you may also call ATI Testing at 1-800-667-7531 for clarification.
- A completed TSTC Dental Hygiene Program application must be filed by March 1 of every year, using the form available in this packet or at the program office. Applicants must attach TSI verification to the application. Applicants will receive notification of their acceptance into the program by the end of March or beginning of April. Accepted applicants will be asked to have a background check done immediately at identogo.com and submit the results along with their letter of intent to the Dental Hygiene Program (DHY) by the date specified on that letter of intent. (Specific details about the background check will be noted on that letter of intent). NOTE: Prospective applicants are strongly advised to attend an informational session and meet with the program chairperson, Ms. Raquel Rico, to ensure understanding of the application process.
- Upon acceptance into the DHY Program, the following basic program courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better, and a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or better must be maintained. These courses MUST be completed prior to beginning the DHY program in August:
- BIOL 2301 & 2101 Anatomy and Physiology I
- CHEM 1305 &1105 Intro to Chem
- ENGL 1301 Composition I
- SPCH Speech Elective (student can choose between 1311, 1315, or 1318)
- Failure to complete these courses by the start of the Fall semester with a 3.0 or better will result in the loss of the candidate’s acceptance status in the Dental Hygiene Program. The candidate will be dropped from the program and an alternate candidate who has successfully passed the core classes will be accepted.
*NOTE: IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT THE CANDIDATE COMPLETE ALL NON-DENTAL HYGIENE COURSES BEFORE THE AUGUST START DATE TO FACILITATE SUCCESS IN THE RIGOROUS DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM.
Students accepted into the TSTC-HARLINGEN Dental Hygiene Program will be required to return a NON-REFUNDABLE $415.00 deposit, which will be applied to the student’s instrument kit, with their letter of acceptance by May 1 to ensure their position in the entering class of the upcoming Fall semester.