STEPS TO APPLY
1. Apply for general acceptance to TSTC Harlingen by submission of Admission Application. Applicants may apply via the TSTC website: http://www.tstc.edu/harlingenadmissons/
2. Request official sealed copy of your high school transcript or your GED diploma to the Admissions and Records Office. If you received your GED in Texas and need an official diploma, call the Texas Education Agency (TEA) at 512.463.9292 to obtain one.
3. Submit an official college transcript from all previously attended colleges to the New Student Admissions Office. The college transcript(s) must be an official transcript - imprinted with the college's seal and delivered in a sealed envelope.
4. Spring 2014 with a deadline, 12:00 Noon on May 16, 2014, program beginning in Fall 2014. Fall application deadline will be 12:00 Noon, September 5, 2014, program beginning in Spring 2015.
5. Complete financial aid application. (We recommend that you apply at least four months prior to registration.) If you are applying for federal financial aid, complete the "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" (FAFSA) for the Pell Grant and other financial aid and submit it to the federal processor. Complete the TSTC Harlingen Financial Aid Office Application and return it to the Financial Aid Office. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on other grants, scholarships, student loans or sponsoring agencies such as WIA or DARS. Veterans wanting to use their VA benefits should contact their local VA Certification Officer on campus. The "Free Application for Federal Student Aid" can be found at fafsa.ed.gov
6. In the Fall 2013 semester, the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment established new college readiness standards for incoming students. The TSI Assessment is designed to help determine if students are ready for college-level coursework in the general areas of Reading, Writing and Math. If the student does not meet testing requirements, the assessment will also help with student placement in courses that will aid in the preparation of student skills for college-level classes. For questions please call 956-364-4997 or http://www.tstc.edu/harlingenfinancialaid/
7. Prerequisite courses must be completed prior to program application:
HPRS 1204-Basic Health Profession Skills
PSYC 2314 Lifespan Growth and Development
FDNS 1341 Nutrition
HITT 1305-Medical Terminology
BIOL 2401-Anatomy and Physiology I or BIOL 2301/ BIOL 2101
BIOL 2402- Anatomy and Physiology II or BIOL 2302/ BIOL 2102
8. Applicants to the VN Program must take the TEAS ( Test of Essential Academic Skills) Entrance Exam, consisting of four sections; reading, math, science and english. Information about the TEAS Study Guide Version 5.0 can be found at http://www.atitesting.com/ati_store/product.aspx?zpid=1175 . The composite score will be used within the selection criteria with additional points for GPA and any previous achievements related to nursing education.
9. The TEAS is a computerized test available through the TSTC-HARLINGEN Testing Center. Register on-line by clicking on date link. The cost: $55.00 = $15.00 paid to the Business Office 3 days prior to test date and $40.00 paid online at time of test. You must have your receipt from the Business Office, a valid credit card to pay for the exam and a picture ID at the time of the test.
DATES FOR TEAS TESTING 2014
February 10th 9am
February 25th 9am
March 13th 4pm
March 18th 9am
April 10th 4pm
April 17th 9am
April 24th 4pm
June 10th 9am
June 24th 9am
July 10th 4pm
July 22nd 9am
August 7th 4pm
August 12th 9am
TEST CAN ONLY BE TAKEN ONE TIME PER YEAR. SEATS ARE LIMITED, REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED !
10. A typed essay which must include the following: explanation of desire to be a nurse; the steps taken to make sure the one-year commitment to the Vocational Nursing Program can be fulfilled; where this education will lead over the next 10 years. Also include academic record from high school and/or college; hobbies and volunteer work.
11. Courses to be considered for admission must be presented on a submitted official sealed college transcript. Courses which are not identical with the catalog listing of courses or equivalent in the common course numbering system require a request for substitution form to be filled out and submitted to Admissions with college application.
12. Submit COMPLETE VN APPLICATION packet to the Allied Health Department Secretary’s Office. The logbook must be signed by applicant to record receipt of the application.
13. Applicants will be evaluated on an admission rating scale consisting of TEAS score, GPA, and Nurse Assistant certification. The rankings will be submitted to the Admissions Committee for consideration as a component of the total admission criteria.
14. The selected applicants will be admitted pending proof of physical and mental health on a physical examination taken within 6 months prior to enrollment in the first nursing course. Immunizations must be current and the Hepatitis A & B series must be completed by beginning of program.
15. Criminal background checks are required for students involved directly with clients in clinical facilities and by the Texas Board of Nursing for licensure. To pass the nursing courses involved in this program you must complete clinical rotations at these sites. If you refuse or for any reason cannot complete this background check, or as a result of the information gathered in this check, you will be refused access to a clinical facility, thereby ineligible for clinical participation; you will be dismissed from the program due to inability to meet clinical objectives. Information on the procedure for obtaining a CBC and fingerprinting will be given to the accepted students.
16. DO NOT COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO ADMISSION !
17. Employment at many healthcare facilities and agencies require mandatory drug screening. Vocational Nursing students may be required to undergo a random drug screen prior to beginning clinical experiences and at any point during the program at the discretion of the Program Director and/or Instructor. Failure to take or pass this drug test will result in inability to complete required clinical rotations.
18. Limited numbers of students are accepted to this program. The admission rating scale and application packet criteria will be used to determine acceptance. All candidates will be notified in writing regarding admission status.
19. ** Not all qualified candidates may be accepted.
20. Some students not selected will be notified that they are alternates. Students on the alternate list may be admitted if space becomes available.
21. Eligible applicants will be notified of the date to attend the MANDATORY ORIENTATION. Those applicants not attending or arriving late to the orientation will automatically be dropped from consideration.
Completed applications, forms, immunization records, and written documents must be submitted in the application packet folder to the following address:
Texas State Technical College Harlingen
Vocational Nursing Department
1902 N. Loop 499
Harlingen, TX 78550
**Applicants must submit a COMPLETE application packet to the Vocational Nursing Department, either in person or by certified mail on or before the application filing deadline. Incomplete packets will not be considered in the selection process. **
The logbook must be signed by applicant to record receipt of the application.
Place all of above materials in 9x12 inch envelope for submission either in person or by mail during the designated filing period.
** Incomplete packets will not be considered for selection!