LVN to ADN Transition Program
The HESI Pre-entrance Exam for current LVN’s seeking to enter the LVN to ADN Transition Program must take the HESI Pre-entrance Exam. A score of 850 is required to apply to the program. The test will be administered online, but the TSTC testing center will help you in making the arrangements. Contact the Testing Center to schedule your exam.
- Steps to become a LVN to ADN Student
- Harlingen Associate Degree in Nursing – Advisory Packet
- Harlingen Associate Degree in Nursing – Information Sessions
- Harlingen – ADN Program Application Submission
- Harlingen Associate Degree in Nursing – Application Packet
- HESI-LPN to ADN Virtual Testing Information
- West Texas – Sweetwater Associate Degree in Nursing – Summer 2022 Application Packet
We are glad you are interested in the Associate Degree in Nursing Program at TSTC. This is a transitional program of study leading to an Associate Degree in Nursing. Upon successful completion of the program, the ADN degree will be conferred by TSTC. The successful graduate will be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN exam to obtain licensure as a registered nurse from the Texas Board of Nursing. Students/graduates of the program may not work as a registered nurse until successfully passing the NCLEX-RN examination.
There is a significant and growing need for registered nurses throughout the state of Texas and all over the United States. The Associate Degree in Nursing Program at TSTC Sweetwater is a fast-paced associate degree program that serves surrounding rural county areas of West Texas. TSTC works hand in hand with healthcare industry leaders to train highly qualified nurses. The program includes three semesters of nursing-related courses, simulation lab and clinicals. The entire program requires 60 credits, taking at least three full years to complete (includes one full year in the Vocational Nursing program). Academic courses taken at other schools may be accepted for credit. TSTC does not accept any nursing core course transfers.
This program is designed for Texas Licensed Vocational Nurses. The Associate Degree in Nursing program at TSTC in Sweetwater is a hybrid asynchronous online program with most of the program delivered online. Faculty supervised lab simulations are carried out at the Sweetwater campus. Hands-on supervised clinical experiences are conducted in a variety of area healthcare facilities (both acute and non-acute settings). The program may be completed in 12 months if general education courses are completed ahead of time or in two years if the student chooses to start with general education coursework.
Because we want you to succeed and graduate, it is in your best interest (and ours) to make sure you know the challenges you will face when you become a student. An open, honest dialogue with an LVN to ADN faculty member should focus on your background, time commitment, previous college experience, and other factors that will help determine your likelihood of succeeding and graduating from TSTC Sweetwater, which, after all, is our shared goal.
Please remember this program is a professional nursing program. Please keep all communication with the nursing school, ADN staff assistant, faculty, and director professional. This includes email, text, phone calls, and face-to-face conversations. We strive to always model professional behavior in nursing from nursing education to the bedside. The Associate Degree Nursing LVN – ADN Transition program at Texas State Technical College is approved by the Texas Board of Nursing (TBON). The program is further approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and is SACSCOC accredited. This advisory packet is designed by Texas State Technical College LVN to ADN staff to guide the prospective students with general information about the program and the application process.
Lisa Van Cleave, EdD, RN
LVN –ADN Transition
Program Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Wilhite, Allied Health Student Services Specialist
Texas State Technical College
2082 Quantum Loop, Abilene, Texas 79602
Kristi Hendrix, Secretary
Texas State Technical College
300 Homer K. Taylor Dr., Sweetwater, Texas 79556
Steps to Apply:
- APPLY TO BECOME A TSTC STUDENT VIA THE TSTC WEBSITE. It is advised that you begin with your admission to the college so you will have a TSTC email address and become a part of the college system prior to starting the ADN Packet. TSTC email is the accepted way of communicating with TSTC faculty and staff. Acceptance into the college and declaring nursing as your major does not guarantee acceptance into the core LVN to ADN transition program. ** The TSTC application has to process, and the prospective student must be rolled over as a student (all transcripts submitted) before this information is available. This information typically is given to the student when they are instructed to complete the Student Financial Obligation Agreement.**
- REQUEST ALL OF YOUR OFFICIAL COLLEGE TRANSCRIPTS ARE SENT TO TSTC ADMISSIONS. Your transcripts (official) are extremely important to the admission process along with your applications. All official transcripts are to be requested by you & sent to the Admissions Department, NOT the nursing department. A copy of your transcripts needs to be put into the packet submitted to the nursing department. ** (see above)**
- COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK THROUGH GROUP1.
Go to this link (Use the link below to access Group1):
https://gp1.acciodata.com/cgibin/pub/unsolicited_portal?guid=81gLiVPUGoHxyz19h25IEIm1mnesPPoq%20 and sign up for a background check as soon as you begin the application process. You need to click on the above link NOT copy/paste it. It will be $30.00. After the background check is completed, you will get an email stating it is completed. After this you will need to go back into your GP1 account and print a copy of the background check. Submit the copy of the complete background check with the application packet.
Note: This is a separate requirement from the BON background check.
*IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE REPORT BEFORE YOU SUBMIT, you will need to submit the disclosure form and confirmation page that you have started the background check process.
*ONCE THE REPORT IS RECEIVED, and it is before the application due date, please send via email to email@example.com
*IF IT IS AFTER THE APPLICATION DUE DATE, please send via email to Kristi.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Summer/Fall 2022 Information Session Dates – Each session is 2 hours long and the potential student must attend in its entirety. Thursday, February 3 at 10 am; Saturday, February 12 at 3 pm; Friday, February 18 at 2 pm; Monday, February 21 at 7 pm; Monday, February 28 at 2 pm; Saturday, March 5 at 3 pm; Tuesday, March 15 at 10 am; and Monday, March 21 at 7 pm. Also, for the Fall Semester 2022 Saturday, March 5 at 3 pm; Tuesday, March 15 at 10 am; Monday, March 21 at 7 pm; Monday March 28 at 10 am; Friday, April 1 at 2 pm; Wednesday, April 6 at 7 pm; and Thursday April 7 at 3 pm. Please fill out the Informational Form to attend one of the sessions and put it on your calendar. It is an informational session only and does not indicate or guarantee acceptance to the ADN Program. The purpose of the session is to give you as much information as possible so that you are informed and know what the expectations are. It will outline all the details of the program, including but not limited to immunizations, uniforms, clinical requirements, and class registration.
For all other information including prerequisites and testing information download the West Texas – Sweetwater Associate Degree in Nursing – Summer 2022 Application in the Information and Downloadable section.
- Have all official transcripts of courses taken from other colleges sent to Texas State Technical College and reviewed by Admissions.
- Submit a copy of picture ID (driver’s license or state issued ID) and Social Security card.
- Must be able to pass a FBI background check and 10 panel drug screen (Applicant will receive further instructions after they have applied to the VN program).
- All immunizations must be current including Hepatitis B series, MMR series, Varicella, TDap, Meningococcal vaccine, Influenza, and TB.
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Medical Terminology, Medical Administration must be no older than 5 years to transfer in.
- Must take TEAS exam at least once before acceptance into the program. Must have passed all four sections before first class day.
- Apply for general acceptance to Texas State Technical College Sweetwater or Breckenridge by submission of Admission Application. Applicants may click here to apply.
- Request official sealed copy of your high school transcript or your GED diploma to the Admissions and Records Office. If you received your GED in Texas and need an official diploma, call the Texas Education Agency (TEA) at 512-463-9292 to obtain one.
- Submit an official college transcript from all previously attended colleges to the New Student Admissions Office. The college transcript(s) must be an official transcript – imprinted with the college’s seal and delivered in a sealed envelope.
- Vocational Nursing program is a 16-month program with the first semester courses being completed before application into the program. West Texas has one intake per year to begin in the spring semester. The deadline for submission of completed packets is listed in the Application Packet.
- Complete financial aid application. (We recommend that you apply at least four months prior to registration.) If you are applying for federal financial aid, complete the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA) for the Pell Grant and other financial aid and submit it to the federal processor. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on other grants, scholarships, student loans or sponsoring agencies such as WIA or DARS. Veterans wanting to use their VA benefits should contact their local VA Certification Officer on campus. The “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” can be found at FAFSA
- In Fall 2013, the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment established new college readiness standards for incoming students. The TSI Assessment is designed to help determine if students are ready for college-level coursework in the general areas of reading, writing and math. If the student does not meet testing requirements, the assessment will also help with student placement in courses that will aid in the preparation of student skills for college-level classes. For questions, please call 325-235-7441, Counseling and Testing.
- Applicants to the VN Program must take the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) Entrance Exam, consisting of four sections; reading, math, science and English. Information about the TEAS Study Guide Version 6.0 can be found at http://www.atitesting.com/ati_store/product.aspx?zpid=1175 . Complete information about the TEAS test is included in the application packet.
- Courses to be considered for transfer credit must be submitted on an official sealed college transcript. Courses which are not identical with the catalog listing of courses or equivalent in the common course numbering system require a request for substitution form to be completed by the nursing department. The student must request this substitution and provide all official transcripts before requests.
- Submit COMPLETE VN APPLICATION packet as instructed in the application package.
- Applicants will be considered on an admission rating scale. See application packet for details.
- Criminal background checks are required for students involved directly with clients in clinical facilities and by the Texas Board of Nursing for licensure. To pass the nursing courses involved in this program, you must complete clinical rotations at these sites. If you refuse or for any reason cannot complete this background check, or information received during this check is deemed unacceptable by the Board of Nursing and you will be refused access to a clinical facility, you will be ineligible for clinical participation and dismissed from the program due to inability to meet clinical objectives.
Information on the procedure for obtaining a CBC and fingerprinting is available in the application packet. The Board of Nursing will issue a code and a form to be used for the fingerprinting. Prints from any other source or without the BON code will not be accepted.
- DO NOT COMPLETE A BACKGROUND CHECK PRIOR TO APPLICATION. You will be notified when it is time to have your prints made. If, however, you answer yes to any of the board questions on page 16 of the packet, you should begin the declaratory order procedure.
- Employment at many healthcare facilities and agencies require mandatory drug screening. Vocational Nursing students will be required to undergo a random drug screen prior to beginning clinical experiences and at any point during the program at the discretion of the Program Chair and/or Instructor. Failure to take or pass this drug test will result in inability to complete required clinical rotations.
- Limited numbers of students are accepted in this program. The admission rating scale and application packet criteria will be used to determine acceptance. All candidates will be notified via email regarding admission status. ** Not all qualified candidates may be accepted.
- Some students not selected will be notified that they are alternates. Students on the alternate list may be admitted if space becomes available.
- Accepted applicants will be notified of the date, time and place to attend the MANDATORY ORIENTATION. Those accepted and not attending or arriving late to the orientation will automatically be dropped from consideration.
For more information call 325-734-3644.
The ATI-TEAS exam is used as part of the admission process for the Vocational Nursing program. This exam is available and should be taken at any of the TSTC Testing Centers. Applicants to this program should schedule a testing time. Complete program requirements are in the Information Download section.
- Steps to become a Vocational Nursing Student
- Harlingen – VN Program Application Submission
- Harlingen – VN Program Application Packet
- Harlingen – ATI TEAS Instructions
- Harlingen Vocational Nursing Program TEAS VI Testing Dates for SP 2022 Cohort
- Harlingen – VN Information Session
- Vocational Nursing Program Immunization Form
- COVID Vaccine Information